Skip to main content
- Filth flies cannot chew; they have to suck up their food.
- Flies do not have eyelids; they have to rub their eyes with their feet to keep them clean.
- Flies taste, smell, and feel with the hairs that cover their bodies. Flies actually taste what they walk on.
- Flies can walk on smooth surfaces using sticky soft pads on their feet that act like glue. This allows them to walk on vertical glass surfaces and even upside down
- Chocolate comes from fruits of the cacao tree of South America. Its flowers are pollinated by the chocolate midge, a tiny fly less than 1/8 inch long. Without this fly, there would be no chocolate.